Daily Departures

Departing daily from the ordinary objects of my thoughts.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Calling all OS X users

As anyone who uses a Mac knows, there are many free pieces of software with incredible functionality and wonderful UIs (user interfaces). I was recently sent the following link, for a program called Disk Inventory X.

What this program does is map your harddrive and display the contents of your harddrive graphically. The advantage of displaying the contents in this manner is that you can very quickly see what programs, files, or folders are taking up the largest amount of space. If it turns out--as it did in my case--that there are large folders filled with files that you don't use, then it is easy to find and delete them. In my case, Garage Band had hundreds of sound clips (over a Gig worth) that I'll never use, given that I uninstalled Garage Band. I'd likely not have found these files has I simply been looking through folders.

So, anyone who is using OS X, I strongly encourage you to download, install, and use this program!

[Each of those little boxes (or, in some cases big boxes) represents a program or a file. The colour represents the type of program or file. If you click on any of the little boxes, you will have the path and size information displayed in the bottom drawer.]

1 Comments:

  • At 4/14/2006 05:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Geek alert, geek alert, whoop whoop! Careful Mark, this post takes some much-needed cool points from your blog...a friendly warning.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home