Daily Departures

Departing daily from the ordinary objects of my thoughts.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Firefly


Recently, my roommate did a very bad thing. Essentially, he forced me to procrastinate by giving me a copy of the series Firefly, on DVD. Firefly aired originally in 2001 on Fox, but was canceled after only 15 episodes. As with most TV series', the actors don't "settle" into their characters for 10 or so episodes. With Firefly, the characters were developing with considerable depth by the 5th or 6th episode but at that point, there were really only 9 or 10 to go. Unfortunate.

The concept of this show is essentially, Old Western + Space Travel + issues that (roughly) confront people today. (So, there are no aliens or the like.) If that combination doesn't turn you on, I should point out that Firefly--as with all good TV shows--is about the people and what they happen to be doing is secondary. The series is primarily set on a ship called Serenity; which houses 8 regular crew members who are of very disparate backgrounds and personalities. This, combined with the smuggling lifestyle makes for a very interesting series.

(For more information check out Firefly on IMDB.)

When all that is done, you can go and see what Firefly character you are. [Hat tip: Jeremy]

Mal
You are Captain Malcolm Reynolds, aka. Mal or
Captain Tightpants. You saw most of your men
die in a war you lost and now you seek solitude
with a small crew that you are fiercely devoted
to. You have no problems being naked.


Which Firefly character are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

4 Comments:

  • At 1/23/2006 05:45:00 PM, Blogger Jeremy Pierce said…

    Have you seen the Serenity movie yet? It's absolutely awesome, exactly what many Star Wars fans expected and didn't get in the prequels (though I did enjoy them, just not on the same level as some other scifi).

     
  • At 1/23/2006 06:23:00 PM, Blogger Mark said…

    I haven't seen it yet.

    I didn't even know about this series until Jordan gave me a copy of the DVDs. I am sure to watch the movie soon though.

     
  • At 1/25/2006 04:22:00 AM, Blogger Mark said…

    I absolutely love that show. I just saw _Serenity_ last night (on my computer, pirated from a university server, the only way unfortunately to see many movies out here in Anatolia), and it was excellent. Still, I think I like the more meandering tone of the series better. Also, there weren't quite as many snappy lines as usual. Maybe they'll bring the series back, that at least, I believe, is part of Whedon's (the creator) gambit. But, I don't know what the rumor mill says.

     
  • At 1/25/2006 07:57:00 AM, Blogger Mark said…

    I've still to see the movie. If only I could find it on my university server... alas.

    Whedon certainly is gaining icon status, but i'v be surprised if they actually brought the series back, it has been 4 years.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home